Global Change Summer Research Awards - up to $1500
The Global Change Minor Program will provide up to $1500 in summer funding for graduate students enrolled in the Global Change minor in support of their research. In light of the current pandemic and limitations on travel for fieldwork or professional conferences, the purpose of this summer grant is to provide financial support for graduate students while they advance their interdisciplinary research during a time of reduced funding and travel restrictions.
Only current Global Change PhD Minor students are eligible to apply for these awards. The grant could support various aspects of summer research, including but not limited to laboratory analyses, data analysis, preparation of the dissertation or manuscripts, or other activities that advance
Application Cycles and Deadlines
Summer 2020 Travel Award - Application deadline is 11:59pm Monday, May 13, 2020
(For research dates: May 18, 2020 - August 30, 2020)
Awardees will be notified by May 18, 2020.
What are the qualifications?
Eligible students should not be defending before August 2020 (you must still be a student during Summer 2020). Also, you must have:
- Submitted the GC-GIDP Intent to Declare form which indicates participation in the GC Minor.
- Established a graduate advisory committee with at least one member from the Global Change Faculty serving as the Minor advisor.
- Award priority will be given to students who do not have additional sources of substantial funding for Summer 2020
How to Apply
To complete an application, you will need to upload a single PDF file that contains:
- A cover sheet with your name, major department, a list of committee members indicating your dissertation chair and your GC Minor member, your (tentative or actual) dissertation title, and expected graduation date
- Up to 400 words maximum each on:
- The interdisciplinary significance of your research and how the grant will support it
- Your specific plans for research during Summer 2020 - laboratory or data analysis, preparation of manuscripts, etc. The strongest applications will include specific goals and clear metrics or products for assessing the success of those goals at the end of the summer. Please briefly describe any available sources of funding you are already receiving.
By no later than September 30th, 2020, you must submit the following materials to GC Minor Chair, Kevin Anchukaitis:
- A short summary (1/2 a page to a page) of your summer research activities and progress
An interdisciplinary panel of Global Change Faculty will review the proposals. Partial or full funding will be awarded at the discretion of the panel. Review criteria will include the level of interdisciplinary global change scholarship, the expected impact on the students’ summer research, and the availability (or not) of other funding sources.
All funds must be used or disbursed by September 30, 2020.