Global Change Travel Awards - up to $800
The Global Change Minor Program will provide up to $800 in travel funding for graduate students enrolled in the Global Change minor to present their work at academic/professional conferences or travel for fieldwork in support of research. The purpose of this grant is to promote the professional achievement of GC graduate students and help advance their interdisciplinary research.
Only current Global Change PhD Minor students are eligible to apply for these awards. The awards do not fund graduate assistantship salary or wages. Acceptable budgetary items include travel expenses for field research or to attend or present at a professional meeting. If attending a meeting, registration expenses can ALSO be covered, and priority is given to those presenting at the meeting. You are eligible even if you have received one of these grants previously.
Application Cycles and Deadlines
Fall 2018 Travel Award - Application deadline is 11:59pm Friday, September 14.
(For travel dates: September 1, 2018 - February 1, 2019)
Awardees will be notified by Oct 1, 2018.
Spring 2019 Travel Award - Application deadline is 11:59pm Friday, December 14.
(For travel dates: February 1, 2019 - May 30, 2019)
Awardees will be notified by January 11, 2019.
Summer 2019 Travel Award - Application deadline is 11:59pm Friday, March 15.
(For travel dates: June 1, 2019 - August 30, 2019)
Awardees will be notified by April 1, 2019.
What are the qualifications?
Eligible students should not be defending before April 2019 (you must still be a student at the time of travel). Also, you must have:
- Submitted the GC-GIDP Intent to Declare form which indicates participation in the GC Minor.
- Established their graduate advisory committee with one member from the Global Change Faculty from outside their home department serving as a Minor advisor.
- Submitted their graduate program Plan of Study to the Graduate College noting the Global Change Minor.
How to Apply
To complete an application, you will need to upload a single PDF file that contains:
- A cover sheet with your name, major department, a list of committee members indicating your dissertation chair and your GC Minor member, your dissertation title, and expected graduation date
- Up to 250 words each on:
- The interdisciplinary significance of your research and how the grant will support it
- How this travel will support your career development
- Your specific plan for maximizing this opportunity, for example in terms of networking or other activities
- Specify the details of the trip you will support (name, dates, place of event), the amount of your request, and how the funds will be spent (a simple budget)
- If you are presenting:
- Include a draft of your abstract (even if you have not yet prepared it for the conference itself, we need to see a draft)
- State whether and how much of this work has been presented elsewhere
Within two weeks of your return, you must submit the following materials to GC Minor Chair, Kevin Anchukaitis:
- A short summary (1/2 a page to a page) of your experience and how it was valuable for your professional education.
- A digital photograph of yourself, preferably in a research setting or at the conference.
An interdisciplinary panel of Global Change Faculty will review the proposals. Partial or full funding will be awarded at the discretion of the panel. Review criteria will include the level of interdisciplinary global change scholarship, the expected impact on the students’ career, and the significance of the travel experience.
All funds must be used by August 30, 2019.